A semi-conference style event focused to prepare students for graduate school. Topics include graduate admissions, including the application process, personal statement, funding opportunities, and diversity in graduate education.
Each year the McNair program sponsors a public Graduate School Prep Summit with Dr. Donald Asher who is one of the nation’s foremost authorities on the graduate admission process. Hundreds of thousands of students have seen his lectures, tapes, and teleconferences. He is the author of twelve books, including “Graduate Admissions Essays, the best-selling guide to the graduate admissions process, and “The Best Scholarships for the Best Students.”
"This was an amazing program that definitely addressed some of the concerns that I have about my graduate school application and I am so thankful to have attended this semester" - 2019 Program Attendee
The summit covers topics including but not limited to:
- Mastering the Application Process
- Securing Letters of Recommendation and References
- Identifying graduate programs in your discipline
- Writing an effective personal statement
- Approaching the GRE
- Finding funding (NOT LOANS!)
- Selecting a faculty mentor
- Students will learn the value of a graduate degree as a return on investment for their future.
- Students will understand the hidden curriculum of graduate school.
- Students will learn how to compose essential application materials for graduate school.
- Students will network with professionals, faculty, graduate students, and alumni.
- Students will be able to identify various funding and fellowship opportunities.